Definition

Kev (abr. Kevin)
name
Irish, Gaelic orgin. Caoimhin.
1. adorable. 2. gentle one

Walkabout (walk-a-bout)
noun
1 (in Oz) - a walk in the Outback by Aborigines that lasts for an indefinite amount of time. 2 (chiefly British) - an informal stroll among a crowd conducted by an important visitor e.g. a monarch. 3 a walking trip.

Saturday 23 June 2007

Pictures and commentory of my walkabout in Sydney

Getting ready for my walkabout once again!

Took the 10.40am bus (372) to Central Station. Was hoping that it reach there before 11.29am, as the train departs at that time.

The interior of the bus service number 372

Inside the Central Station. Besides trains to other suburbs, one can take interstate (e.g. to Melbourne) trains here too!

One of the interstate state train, I think!

Entrance into the passenger-only area. This is only one of the many entrance within the station. There's an underground entrance as well, as some train platforms are underground e.g. the one I'm going to take!

So, I need to go to Platform 25 as I'm taking the Illawara line.

This is the type of train that I took. Didn't manage to take a picture of it, so have to use this image from the Cityrail webby instead. Anyway, it's a T-model set with 8 carriages. The train departed at around 11.29am and reached Gymea Station at around 12.12pm. The whole journey was quite pleasing, except that the train is not well maintained - some the leather seats are torn, and dried up sugared drinks are on a portion of the floor, making it sticky to walk on. Well, I must say, I miss Singapore's MRT train! So much cleaner. However, one thing that unique in Sydney's train is that it is double-decked! Definitely something new for me!

On my way, walking to Rick's place. Follow my planned routed.

Typical scene along the way.

Rick's Place is way up there. The slope is so steep - must have been at a 50-60 degrees angle!

OMG, can't imagine what will happen if I roll down!

View from the balcony in Rick's place. Nice!

Chit-chatting, and waiting for the rest to arrive. From left, Oliver, Sohail's wife, Tim, Tim's wife Toni (hope I get the name right), and Sabine (Oops Sabine looks like she's having a big tummy! =D, jus a joke!).

More people chilling out. From left: Lily's BF whose looking very smart-looking (Leighton or something like that? I'm very very bad with names, pardon me), Lily, Mark?, and Matt (our proud lotus owner).

Nibbles before the main kill. Oops, lunch I meant!



Let's dig in! Wow... quite a spread I must say - heard from Rick it's a mixture of Italian, Turkish, some Australian fine dinning! My first time going to an Australian's home and eating 'Australian' food. Pretty delicious. I took a portion of each, and ended up pretty full!! Don't underestimate the food - looks like pastry etc and you think 'I wouldn't be full with it'. You will regret it if you take too many, as it can really fill you tummy! Of 'cos, Cat's stomach is another matter altogether LOL...

Not enough seats... even the host had to sit on the floor! But they are looking quite comfortable on the floor! From left: Rick, Mark, Toni

Of course, the lucky ones will have a sit at the comfy royal couch. From left: Sabine, Cat, HuiFen. Don't be fool by HuiFen into thinking that she's drinking beer! It's just sparkling apple juice! LOL... The cat's out of the bag! Oops, no pun intended.

From left: Tim, Davide, Oliver, Toni, and Sohail's son. What can I say? Sohail's son is very knowledgeable! But I guess Tim is the Grandmaster!

Wow, Sabine and Charmaine (on the right) looks like they are having a very serious discussion.

Rick has lots of such Indigenous stuffs, e.g. boomerang, spears etc. And do you know that boomerang come in two general forms? One form (non-symmetrical ones e.g. on the wall all the way back) is also called hunting boomerang. These are thrown at the prey and its never meant to be returned. The symmetrical ones (beside the spears) are meant to be returned when thrown. Some are very large, and are purely ceremonial. Learnt a lot from Rick on Indigenous stuffs. Very educating.

Sohail's son giving a public lecture on Roman civilisation and many more!

Let's do some exercise after the heavy lunch. Getting ready to go for a hike, as Rick's place is right next to a national park

One of the houses along Hovea Place, while taking the hike. See how big the house is? It will cost a bomb to own this in Singapore!

Me with the National Park in the background.

Where the river flows. Aim of the hike is to go upstream of these river.

A small stream is not going to stop us!

Following the trail. It's pretty rough at some point, gotta climb over rocks etc.

Exposed river bed 'cos the weather is good and hasn't been raining. Else I guess we wouldn't be walking on it now! Might be rolling a boat or something.

A very common tree in Australia. Can't remember the name. I'm very very poor with names as you might already have guessed.

Up the rocks... and finally!

Picture of the day. Highlight of the hike.

Everybody is feeling a sense of achievement. After hiking for about 20 minutes, we have reached a very nice waterfall.

Matt and me beside the waterfall.

Well, the two 'sisters'. LOL... Cat and HuiFen.

This is on top of the water fall. See how relaxing Davide is??

View down the waterfall from the top.

A plant holding on firmly by the bank against the mighty flow of water.

Life is so resilient.

Me on top of the waterfall. After spending like 20 minutes on the top, we headed back, chit-chatted some more, and finally make our way home at around 5.30pm.

Thanks Rick & family for their wonderful hospitality, and delicious luncheons!

The way back home from Rick's place is a 'woo-ahh' event! LOL. I didn't need to go back by public transport. Rather I hitched a ride back to Randwick in Matt's green lotus (somewhat like that one shown in the picture). Cool right!! The car is so low, that getting into the seat requires technique. And when it accelerates,you can feel the power and speed of the car. You are sorta thrown back to your seat (maybe too exaggerated, but you get the idea). Of cos, the lotus can go from 0 - 60 mph (or 0 - 97 km/h) in ~4.5 seconds!

Alright, this is going to be yucky. After reaching home, I took off my socks and I realised that I'm actually bleeding! I was like - how? when? why? I have no answers to this and it will always be a mystery... My educated guess is that I hurt myself during the hike. But I did not feel any pain at all! And you know what? It just keeps on bleeding - non-stop. It's bleed when I walk, bathe and even...

after I put on a plaster on it. Quite shocking I must say. Then I took a tissue paper and press on the wound, and continue to apply pressure for a good 20 minutes before it finally stops. Luckily it stopped, else it might look as though I try to commit suicide by cutting myself on the heel!!?? LOL.

5 comments:

Aileen_g said...

except for the train part, Sydney is so beautiful! I've been to Brisbane and GoldCoast once and they too are breath-taking places to visit.

Hope to visit Sydney one day too :D

Sweetpea said...

great pics kev! your ankle. sure it's not a leech or something? afterall, you've been wandering around the river...and bleeding non stop some more... hope it's all good now.

eastcoastlife said...

Lovely house and great environment. Envy the owner.

Hope your heel's healed now. :)

KeV's wAlKAbOuT said...

@ Aileen - yeah.. I would love to go gold coast and Carins too! Great Barrier Reef! Who can resist! LOL

@ Sweetpea - that's what my two lab colleagues said as well...But I wore covered shoes and socks... wonder how it get there!

@ ECL - Yup, it's ok now. Thx! and yah, the enviornment is great, but living there would mean ~2 hours one-way trip to uni alone!

Sweetpea said...

you'll be amazed how they can reach the impossible places. but if u do go on these trips again, try getting some lemongrass spray (essence and mix with water in an atomizer) or try the camping shops. in malaysia a surefire way to keep these bloodsuckers at bay is to spray baygon on our shoes, socks and pants.

err... sure u didn't find anything in your socks?? :P


*****************************Site-wide disclosure*****************

This policy is valid from May 2007

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post may not always be identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.