Definition

Kev (abr. Kevin)
name
Irish, Gaelic orgin. Caoimhin.
1. adorable. 2. gentle one

Walkabout (walk-a-bout)
noun
1 (in Oz) - a walk in the Outback by Aborigines that lasts for an indefinite amount of time. 2 (chiefly British) - an informal stroll among a crowd conducted by an important visitor e.g. a monarch. 3 a walking trip.

Tuesday 19 June 2007

I'm feeling as gloomy as the weather here in Syd...

I’ve been pretty stressed up lately – over my PhD work. Things are not going anywhere, and it looks like a lot of optimization has to be done to the experimental setup. Being a student travelling thousands of miles away, from Singapore to Australia is really a double-edged sword. Yes, you can inform everyone from your relatives to all those friends in your handphone that you are travelling to Australia and staying there for 4 years. “For what?” they asked. “I’m going there to do my PhD!” I replied. “Wah!” and their eyes opened as wide as their mouth. It’s a compliment I guess, and in their eyes I would be coming back to Singapore as a PhD graduate, well trained, and demands a higher pay then most of them. That’s the irony. For that, I’m conformed to how people see me, and thus pressurizing myself. Can you imagine how my relatives etc will see me if I just barely scrape through PhD, or that I have no good results and thus cannot get a PhD? How do I answer to my fairy godmother for her financial help that kick started my trip to Australia? I cannot just scrape through my PhD with mediocre performance, let alone come home empty handed – I have to excel. I must push myself. But in research, things cannot be pushed. And the pressure and stress builds up in me… Topped with the fact that I’m the worrisome lot, things sometimes can really be too much to handle that I contemplated to just return to Singapore now and get a job and be done with it. It’s just a passing thought; I have yet to be so mentally unstable as to fulfill it. But I think I am not cut out to be a Principle Investigator in a research area, or to head a research group etc. It will be so much more stressful then now – grant writing to secure funding for research, overseeing the research, pressure to publish papers, and teaching the undergrads etc. As of now, I just wish to get a good paid post-doc job that requires as less brain power as possible after I graduate, and spend time on the things that I like e.g. my future family, travelling etc etc… Nonetheless, what you propose, God will dispose… …

Anyway, bought a pillow cum bolsters from the linen shop below my house, for AUD$23.90. Judging from the brand – Body Mate – I think it’s branded stuffs? Anyway, the shop owner was trying to sell me the cover for it as well, for AUD$23.90 too! In the back of my mind, I was like ‘What? It’s as expensive as the pillow cum bolster!!’ So in the end I just got the bolsters only. Luckily I didn’t buy it, ‘cos I realized that the pillow cum bolster is washable when I went home. So no real need for a cover.

4 comments:

Colleen said...

Hey Kev, it's definitely not easy.. but gan ba te.. U can do it.. Not many can reach whr u are..

Me for eg, I took MSc but gave up after a month plus.. :-(

Kekeke.. feel better now? Better be.. Cheer up Tummybear :-)

Mommibee says HI from Sydney said...

u'll be able to complete it! All the best to u! Is this ur first year? Thanks for dropping by my blog.

KeV's wAlKAbOuT said...

Hey thnx for your encouragements! Really appreciate it!.

@ mommibee> Yup.. still in the first year of my 3-4 years stint!

eastcoastlife said...

Just do your best. Don't put too much stress on yourself.

Take care.


*****************************Site-wide disclosure*****************

This policy is valid from May 2007

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post may not always be identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.