Definition

Kev (abr. Kevin)
name
Irish, Gaelic orgin. Caoimhin.
1. adorable. 2. gentle one

Walkabout (walk-a-bout)
noun
1 (in Oz) - a walk in the Outback by Aborigines that lasts for an indefinite amount of time. 2 (chiefly British) - an informal stroll among a crowd conducted by an important visitor e.g. a monarch. 3 a walking trip.

Monday 11 June 2007

I miss you 蕃薯旦!

I was tagged by ECL on my favorite food… come to think of it, I love to eat, and have a lot of food that would easily be my favorite! But none of them really come close to what my ultimate decision of my favorite food is. Food, to be delicious or to be favorites among its consumer need not be high-ended or expensive. To me, it’s more of significance – reminisce of my childhood. My favorite food can no longer be found, for it’s no longer sold at the stall cart – the stall is gone the last time I went about half a year ago. =(

Now, what is my favorite food?? It’s a simple蕃薯旦 or sweet potato ball in short. What is 蕃薯旦? As the name goes, it’s a snack or treat that is rolled into a ball and is made from sweet potato. I have no idea on how the 蕃薯旦 that I used to buy from the stall cart in 薯厂街 (in Cantonese; or Petaling Street in KL, Malaysia) is made. However, based on my memory, I remember the women owner of the cart deep frying these balls in oil. Thereafter, she would put 10 balls in a plastic bag (the white transparent kinda with strings at the mouth, - it’s used to packet drinks e.g. ice milo in coffee shops) and sell it for RM$1 per packet. I simply love the 蕃薯旦, especially when it’s just been deep fried. It’s sweet, tasty, crispy, and fragrant too. Simply delicious! It’s really sad that the stall cart is no longer there… and to date I have yet to see any 蕃薯旦 being sold in Singapore. Australia? Don’t even bother to try looking for it! LOL… I think some parts in Malaysia still sells it, but I have no idea where. Guess I will just have to make it on my own if I wanna eat it again.

I have spent some time in the internet searching for pictures and recipe of 蕃薯旦. I thought to myself, it’s going to extremely hard to find since this delicacy doesn’t seems to be very well known. And most of them that I could find was the westernized version of what a sweet potato ball would be. Argh! I was beginning to give up my search when I suddenly come across a Malaysia food website! Not only does it have pictures of the 蕃薯旦, it even has the recipe! You simply have to be me to feel the ecstasy with me after seeing that the recipe is so simply! I have no idea if the 蕃薯旦 from this website is any same with the one that I used to have back in薯厂街, but I’m pretty sure that it is as close as it can get to the real thing!

Thank you ECL for tagging me! Without your tag, I wouldn’t have talk about 蕃薯旦, and I wouldn’t have gone online to look for it, and I wouldn’t have found the recipe! I’m definitely going to try making it one of these days!

**Copy this**

* Meme Topic : What is your favorite food in your state or country?

Find some info about the food & show delicious pictures of it.

Tag FIVE people. Do if you want to increase traffic to your blog!

1) Colleen’s little world of thoughts
2) Amelia’s reflection of a magical smile
3) Suwan’s simpleman
4) Jean’s Great Pleasure
5) Bokjae’s Listening Learning Living

You leave their blog and post link and add to the list below.

Mybabybay loves Asam Laksa from Penang, Malaysia
JustMyThoughts loves Penang Char Koay Teow
My Lil Venture loves Laksa Sarawak
Monterssorimum loves Teluk Intan Chee Cheong Fun
Chinnee loves Melaka Wan Tan Mee
PeimunLeah loves Hakka Lei Cha
Hui Sia loves Crispy duck skin from China
Karen loves Pan Mee
Simple American loves Cheese Enchiladas
Nicole Tan loves Char Tau Kueh
velverse loves Otak-Otak
Giddy Tiger loves Dim Sum
may loves Roti Bakar
Selba loves Gado-gado
Chen loves Satay*
eastcoastlife loves Shanghai Buns
Kev loves 蕃薯旦

**The End**

8 comments:

Jean Chia aka Ms.Yummy~licious said...

Hi Kev, thanks for tagging me. This should be fun! I love all delicious foods, so it's kinda hard for me to think of one favourite now. Let me think about it, and i shall be posting mine soon. Btw, i will be away for biz trip, b back this wednesday, so c ya then! :)

eastcoastlife said...

yo kev,
Thanks for doing the meme. :)

There is a popular and yummy 蕃薯旦stall in Maxwell market in Singapore! Why didn't you ask around? Singaporean and Malaysian cultures are similiar, so sure to have the same type of food, although taste-wise might be slightly different.

Make your 蕃薯旦 and post, ok?

Hope your accommodation problem is solved. Best wishes.

KeV's wAlKAbOuT said...

Hi Jean - Told u that you'll like this tag..=)

ECL - I did tried the one in Maxwell market, but I find it very strange, different from the M'sia one. If I didn't remember wrongly, the one in Maxwell seems to be too bouncy? Maybe they put too much flour?

Xilly said...

This is my favorite as well. I can enjoy it in my area. ;)

Colleen said...

Hey Kev, thanks for the tag.. am back in Sg, settling problems before I can write abt yummy food. :-)

Btw, u'll receive PPP payment the next day after they show "0". Congratulations... your $$$ is coming non-stop from now on. ;-)

阿Don said...

thanks 4 your tag , this not first time i got.
but i always did't do what, cause i don't know how to copy that, many name who love who , how u copy it?

阿Don said...

thanks you post my link and blog screen at your blog^^

erm.. don't know why i can not leave message at your tag board, so i tell u at here: it is photohunter.
see here :http://suwankoay.blogspot.com/2007/05/photo-hunter.html

and here

http://tnchick.com/pshunt/

u will know what is this^^

Vania said...

looks yummy...


*****************************Site-wide disclosure*****************

This policy is valid from May 2007

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post may not always be identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.