Definition

Kev (abr. Kevin)
name
Irish, Gaelic orgin. Caoimhin.
1. adorable. 2. gentle one

Walkabout (walk-a-bout)
noun
1 (in Oz) - a walk in the Outback by Aborigines that lasts for an indefinite amount of time. 2 (chiefly British) - an informal stroll among a crowd conducted by an important visitor e.g. a monarch. 3 a walking trip.

Sunday 15 July 2007

AUD$73 le diner in Ciel Rouge

It's Bastille Day today, and so Sabine suggested that the lab go to Ciel Rouge, a french restaurant located in Victoria street (near Kings Cross) to celebrate. Well, even though we're not french, but it's an excuse to get together and eat good food! LOL...And the good food comes at a good price too! A 3-course Bastille dinner (excluding beverages) set comes at a whopping AUD$60. It's the most expensive dinner set in my life!

So as I have not been to Ciel Rouge nor Victoria street before, I did my homework on the route to take etc... This my scribbling... I think only I can understand this messy map!!

Anyway, took bus 373 from Randwick and it reached Taylor Square in like 10 minutes!! That's pretty fast - kinda expected it to be like a 20 minutes trip. Anyway, Huifen wasn't there yet, so gotta wait a while for her before going over to Ciel Rouge.

This is the entrance to Ciel Rouge... Reached there at about 5.45pm, and waited for like 30minutes for the others - Charmaine and her bf, Lily and her bf, Sabine to show up. Finally, Dom and his gf, as well as Davide arrived as well... and thus let the feast began!! Anyway, the whole restaurant was like fully booked for customers for the Bastille day - Many customer went into the restaurant but come out minutes later only when they realised it's fully booked! Sabine was quick enough to place a booking!

Ok, the whole restaurant was rather small and cozy, and besides the table candles, is only lighted up by two of this chandeliers. See that even the chandeliers are decorated? Yup, it's a french restaurant, and it's Bastille day! What do you expect?

The Bastille dinner set menu... we only get to choose 1 dish from each category. If only I can order all of them! LOL... All these words looks rather foreign to me...What's Gruyere? What's cornichons? What's Suzette? Oh well, just have to follow my instincts to order.

While waiting for our entree, we were served with bread and butter, and we had some red and white wine as well...

Finally, my entree was Chicken liver pate with red onion confit and cornichons. I was like 'huh? so small a portion?' in my mind. LOL... Anyway, it's eaten with bread, by smearing the chicken liver pate onto the bread. It's extremely delicious, and the taste of chicken liver wasn't very strong which is good. The pate was smooth and rich. It's the most delicious food that one can used to smear on bread to eat. I would have given it a full 5 lobsters stamps if not for the red onion confit and cornichons. The cornichons are sour, which I hate, and the red onion aren't exactly that appealing either. Oh well, 4 lobs stamps for my entree!


Now the main course for me is Silver Dory Meniere served with boulanger potatoes. This dish is absolutely superb - the outer layer of the dory was grilled till golden crisp, but the meat of the fish itself is soft and succulent with the olive oil-based gravy. In addition, they had added a slight tint of lemon/lime juice into the gravy as well. Excellent - not too sour, and goes very well with the fish. And Together with the boulanger potatoes, this is definitely worth 5 lobs stamps, but I'm only giving it 4 lobs stamps as the portion is too small. I could have easily eaten two dory fish portions - but that is going to cost me!



And finally, for the desserts - which is supposedly to wrap up the whole Le diner set, is disappointing. I order a crepe Suzette not knowing what a Suzette is. Apparently after searching through wikipedia, Suzette doesn't have any significance in terms of food. Back to the crepe, it is an orange crepe. I'm not really sure if it's an orange or peach, but based on the sourness and bitter aftertaste of the sauce and crepe, my money is on orange. Anyway, the crepe is nice, nothing spectacular and I would have given it 2.5 lobs stamp. However, I do not like sour food and yet I have to force myself to finish it (it's worth $60!!!) and thus I'm only willing to give it only a lobs stamp instead.

Overall, I find that the food in Ciel Rouge is quite to my liking except that the portions are small, and thus isn't really worth the AUD$60 (including wines - AUD$70+) The price is definitely on the high end, probably capitalising on that fact that french cuisine is generally considered to be a refine and elegant way of dining, and that it's Bastille Day. Well, I guess I'm going to sum up my experiences in Ciel Rouge with just one sentence - I'm going to make myself some noodles later. =)

5 comments:

Colleen said...

Wow Kev, definitely an expensive dinner... and I am salivating liao... Hungry Hungry... I want food!

Aileen_g said...

u are soooooooooooo... bad! always show yummy food in your posts.. they're making me hungry T_T

hehehe

Jean Chia aka Ms.Yummy~licious said...

wow, i love the interior. u eat chicken liver? ee..i dun like all internal parts of chicken. some says me stupid for not knowing how appreaciate it. :P

Kimiko said...

crepes suzette! they're delicious when done properly. it's just too bad it didn't turn out well XD
If i've not mistaken, suzette means being flamed in a liqueur sauce.

J@n!ce said...

I'm scare of the liver. You seems to like it, you give it so many 'stars'...very costly meal I should say :)


*****************************Site-wide disclosure*****************

This policy is valid from May 2007

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post may not always be identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.