Definition

Kev (abr. Kevin)
name
Irish, Gaelic orgin. Caoimhin.
1. adorable. 2. gentle one

Walkabout (walk-a-bout)
noun
1 (in Oz) - a walk in the Outback by Aborigines that lasts for an indefinite amount of time. 2 (chiefly British) - an informal stroll among a crowd conducted by an important visitor e.g. a monarch. 3 a walking trip.

Sunday 26 August 2007

Thoughts....

During my conversation with one of the bloggers Nicole, who happen to be another PhD student in UNSW in the medicine building, that I was lamenting to her that I see no lights at all at the end of the tunnel. To which, she replied not only are there no lights, but there are lots of bumps where we will eventually end up with a permanent head damage at the end of the day! LOL… This is indeed very apt to the situation. Haiz… the PhD route is merely a road of bumps and knocks, and one way or the other we will only end up having permanent head damage. The way I see it, I would be lucky to survive with just permanent head damage after 4 years of bumping and knocking. Probably I will have a lot of white hair by then?! Probably I would have died after deciding to end my miserable bumping life, if my experiments keep on failing me for the next few months or years.

I’ve never expected so much difficulties treading on this road. I know there will be up and downs, but never did I imagine that the mountains will be so high, or the oceans so deep, that a roundabout is never in sight. Luck is never at my side. If I have other talents, I might have just quit my PhD and seek a better future. That’s the issue – I’ve no talents. I am neither musically inclined, versatile in my crafts, creative, charismatic, vocal, linguistic, physically fit, and… (Need I even continue?). The only gift which I’m endowed with is my processing unit aka my brain, and its interest in science. Even so, my processing unit has limited capacity, and tends to lose memory at times and certainly not the best model in the world. In fact, being part of the congregation of researchers and scientific community, I would say my talents are negligible compare to them. So, to take reductionist approach on my worth, I would say that what is probably most worthy is my passion for science and thirst in understanding the ticking of the world. But in this field, where science and technology are so intriguingly interwoven, science simply doesn’t exist anymore. It aren’t as naïve as the 18th or even early 20th century anymore. Passion for science – worthless. Thirst for knowledge – only if it is bundled with a technological tag, else just drown yourselves in water to quench your thirst once and for all.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

aiks!! dun be so down...you are just like that because things aren't working..but once it work trust me there are "high"s to it....just take it slow, enjoy yourself while you are at it....AND DON'T COME IN ON THE WEEKEND UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!!!!! the more you come in on weekend the more stress you would be!!! TRUST ME!

Eileen said...

It is a passion.... I am sick of doing all the researches and experiments, that is why I decided to work after finishing my honours. I was tempted to do my masters & PhD... but I scare I get permanent head damage too... kekekekekeke......

Oh well, do what your heart tells you. Eh, I can tell ppl I got Dr blogger friend leh. Kekeke


*****************************Site-wide disclosure*****************

This policy is valid from May 2007

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post may not always be identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.