Definition

Kev (abr. Kevin)
name
Irish, Gaelic orgin. Caoimhin.
1. adorable. 2. gentle one

Walkabout (walk-a-bout)
noun
1 (in Oz) - a walk in the Outback by Aborigines that lasts for an indefinite amount of time. 2 (chiefly British) - an informal stroll among a crowd conducted by an important visitor e.g. a monarch. 3 a walking trip.

Tuesday 28 August 2007

A pleasent surprise

Amid the numerous disappointing failed experiments lately, a piece of good news came out of the blue suddenly. And no, it has nothing to do with my experiment. If only the good news is that my experiment is successful, I would be so much happier than anything in the world right now. But I guess, this piece of good news is second to a successful experiment.

My PhD supervisor has decided to top up our scholarships with an additional AUD$5,000 for the current year only, for each PhD student! Currently my UIPRS scholarship stands at approximately AUD$1.5k per month, and with the additional top up, it will be a total of approximately 1.8k per month! Yeah!! That means, I don’t need to shrimp my spending so much, and will have more savings as well, for purchasing my return air ticket between Singapore and Sydney for next year, as well as saving up for our (Limin & I) solemnization ceremony!

This is really a piece of great news. Thanks to Davide for bringing up our miserable stipend amount to Rick, which thereafter Rick decided to be generous! Thanks Davide!

But still, I would rather sacrifice this AUD$5k to be successful in my experimentations.

3 comments:

Eileen said...

First of all, congrats on the upgrade of scholarship!

Second, I know what you mean & how you feel you rather sacrifice the money to have a successful experiment. I remember the year when I doing my honours project. I repeated the same experiment over & over again with slight modifications and each experiment is not just a short time, and cover from hours to days.... devastating...

Oh well, at the end of the day if you make things work, you will be the happiest guy!!! Good luck!

3POINT8 said...

Whoa...Extra 5000au per year!!
That's pretty good!!
Oh well, I'm sure you'll do fine in your experiments

Sweetpea said...

that is great news! congrats! every dollar counts, i understand. not so much a 'poor-scholar' anymore eh? :P

how about celebrating it with a tag? :)

http://sweetpeamy.blogspot.com/2007/08/meme-on-blogging-tips.html


*****************************Site-wide disclosure*****************

This policy is valid from May 2007

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post may not always be identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.