Definition

Kev (abr. Kevin)
name
Irish, Gaelic orgin. Caoimhin.
1. adorable. 2. gentle one

Walkabout (walk-a-bout)
noun
1 (in Oz) - a walk in the Outback by Aborigines that lasts for an indefinite amount of time. 2 (chiefly British) - an informal stroll among a crowd conducted by an important visitor e.g. a monarch. 3 a walking trip.

Thursday 22 November 2007

'I Believe You' by Low Kay Hwa

It's been really a long time since I read good and touching stories... and just today, I saw one that can literally make a person cry. Not me though, I'm a guy... lol.. so I'm more resistant to such stuffs, but still I find the it indeed is so well written that it has the ability to move hearts, and induce tears in our fairer species. Written by a well-known Singaporean, Low Kay Hwa, this coming-of-age story titled 'I Believe You' tells of two JC students - Joanna Fong and Jacky Wu where fate has decided to intertwine their lives to bring about hope and love, especially for the self-declared whatever-I-curse-will-come-true Joanna. It's a journey of self discovery, learning to trust, appreciating those around you, and many more for our 'heroine', which is the beauty of the book - it draws you into Joanna's life and as she go through her self discovery process, we the readers would seems to have discover our own self in the process as well. It seems, to me at least, that I am still not doing justice to Low Kay Hwa's 'I Believe You', and so I would strongly urge my readers to look at the trailer. Prolly someday, TCS will create a drama based on this?

"Joanna Fong is the envy of many girls: She studies at a top Junior College, has a girl-next-door look and has good results. However, deep on her heart, she holds a secret: She believes that she has a curse. She believes that every bad thing she said will come true.

Jacky Wu is an ideal price charming: He is good in his studies and has girls waiting to hold his hand. He smiles every few minutes and often cracks jokes. However, he, too, holds a deep secret.

When their paths crossed, an unexpected romantic love story takes place..."

In addition, the first 17 chapters of the story can be read on the official site at http://www.goodybooks.com/ibelieveyou.htm. But as one might have guessed, the last 3 chapters weren't placed online and one will have to buy the book at $9.80 to finish the whole story. Hmm.. I'm tempted to buy... but I have read most of the chapters.. but it's only $10.. and I like the story as well.. hmmm..

In addition to his 'I Believe You', another of his work titled 'Journey' seems to be pretty good too. I have yet to read the chapters that the author had posted online, but judging from the trailer, I think it's going to be a not-to-miss story. And it kinda remind me of my relationship with my mum too... ...

"When I was ten, my mother called me “ah girl” and I had always responded to her. When I was fifteen, my mother called me “ah girl” in front of my classmates and I scolded her. When I was twenty, my mother still called me “ah girl” aloud and I ignored her completely. I know that, from her point of view, no matter how old I am, I will always be the “ah girl” who calls her “mama”.

From my point of view, my mother is just an old woman in the house who lives with me. Her responsibilities are to make breakfast for me in the morning, give me money to spend in the day, do the laundry in the evening and switching off the lights at night. For all those things that she did, she will have the authority to scold me or ground me.

Until one day, she calls me and says, “Ah girl, I’ve got cancer. I may die within the next six months.”

That is when I realize that my mother is more than that."

0 comments:


*****************************Site-wide disclosure*****************

This policy is valid from May 2007

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post may not always be identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.